Sunday, November 25, 2012

Thanksgiving goodness

I hope you all had a great Thanksgiving weekend! Mine was full of family, friends, and food. Hm, the 3 F's.  For this year's Thanksgiving I was in charge of appetizers. I scoured the cookbook for something great to bring to share with my family. Onions seemed to be heavily present in both of the recipes I chose.
#1. Butternut squash and caramelized onion galette.(Don't worry, I googled it too)
#2. French onion soup toasts.

Butternut Squash and caramelized onion galette. Sounds fancy doesn't it? Well be prepared to have your family/friends ooh and ahh at this creation and it was simple as can be. One of the things I love most about this cookbook is the short and sweet ingredient list.

The filling: butternut squash, caramelized onions and fontina cheese. The recipe called for 2.5 lbs of butternut squash and mine was less than 2 lbs so I subbed a kabocha squash. This japanese pumpkin is my favorite squash. I believe you can buy them at the regular grocery store but they're kind of pricey. If you have an asian market near you, i'd look there. Very inexpensive. Probably 1/3 of the price than the ones in the regular grocery stores.  The squash tastes similar to butternut but I'd say it's even butterier and creamier. Mmmm. You can actually eat the skin of this squash, but for this recipe's purpose... I peeled it. Be careful though, tough tough skin. I peeled right through to my finger.  Anyhoo, The crust was simple as well. Flour, butter, greek yogurt, salt, and white wine vinegar. Be prepared to impress with this one. and it was SO delicious. Very filling. I topped mine off with a little bit of goat cheese and it was to die for.

French onion soup toasts. This recipe is BRILLIANT! Sautee those onions until they are caramelized, add in some brandy and beef broth and you've got your onions. Throw some on french baguette toasts and topped with grated gruyere and voila! You've got yourself the simplest appetizer to please a crowd. These were getting eaten left and right. They would be great to bring to a party. I will be making this in the future for sure!

Mom made the rest of the food, and everything was mouthwatering delicious. Turkey, brussel sprouts, sausage stuffing, corn pudding, green bean salad, sweet potato casserole, and finished off with a New Orleans Bourbon bread pudding.  Food coma for the rest of the weekend.


2 comments:

  1. I pretty much order french onion soup whenever I see it on a menu, so those appetizers sound like something I would absolutely LOVE.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was amazzzing! I can send you the recipe if you'd like :)

      Delete