Sunday, November 18, 2012

Recipe #3 & 4: Green Me

The holidays are here, and with them come the foods we all know and love. Unfortunately I tend to forget about veggies during this time. When looking for my next recipes to try I decided to go green. I went with vinegar slaw with cucumbers and dill, and kale salad with cherries and pecans.

I love me some colelaw. Usually my go-to is slathered in a pulled pork sandwich to give an addiitonal cool and creamy crunch. A vinegar slaw is nice because it's light and fresh. This was a really simple recipe that I think gets better the longer it sits and soaks up with dressing. I substituted dried dill instead of fresh and halved the amount. This recipe would be great for a summer BBQ.

Recipe #2 was a kale salad with cherries and pecans. This used lacinato (dinosaur) kale. This kale is beautiful and I especially love it for my fresh veggie/fruit juices. The salad started off with a bowl of chiffonade kale. Perfect ribbons of kale topped with toasted pecans, chopped dried cherries, fresh goat cheese and a tangy mustard vinaigrette. A shockingly simple dressing that was made in a less than a minute. Once the dressing has been added and tossed, you let it sit for an additional 20 minutes. I was surprised at how mellow the kale was. Not too bitter at all this was a beautiful salad.

Served alongside some turkey, gravy and biscuit.

Now, where's the pumpkin roll?

No comments:

Post a Comment